Gov. Terry E. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds launch “Jobs for Iowa” tour
Gov. Terry E. Branstad and
Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds launch
“Jobs for Iowa” tour
Three-week tour will span entire state, focus on economic development
(DES MOINES) –Gov. Terry E. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds today announced they will be launching a series of town hall meetings as part of their “Jobs for Iowa” tour.
“We have put forward bold, innovative solutions for job creation in Iowa,” said Branstad. “In visiting every Iowa county, I know what job creators seek in order to expand or locate here. Our tour will allow us to meet and network with Iowans throughout the state over the next three weeks, and discuss our plans for growing our economy.”
The Branstad-Reynolds jobs plan includes:
• Cutting Iowa corporate income tax rates in half, which currently has the highest top rate in the country.
• Bringing commercial property taxes to 60 percent of value, down from the current rate of 100 percent. Commercial property in Des Moines pays more tax that similar property in New York City, Chicago, Kansas City and Philadelphia. Rural areas face similar odds against their counterparts nationwide.
• Remaking the Department of Economic Development into a 21st Century public-private partnership that works with businesses to create jobs.
• A sunset of rules and regulations every four years to determine their effectiveness, and have a jobs-impact statement with every new proposal that affects economic growth in Iowa.
• Touring the country and world in search of new jobs for the state of Iowa.
Below is the first week of the tour. The following events are free and open to the public:
Monday, February 21, 2011
1 p.m. Gov. Branstad holds “Jobs for Iowa” town hall meeting
First Citizen National Bank
Heritage Club Room
2601 Fourth Street
Mason City, IA
3 p.m. Gov. Branstad holds “Jobs for Iowa” town hall meeting
Charles City Public Library
106 Milwaukee Mall
Charles City, IA
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
1 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” town hall meeting
West Des Moines City Hall
City Council Chambers
4200 Mills Civic Parkway
West Des Moines, IA
2 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” town hall meeting
Johnston Public Library
Large Meeting Room
6700 Merle Hay Road
For more information please visit www.governor.iowa.gov.