Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds announce continuation of “Jobs for Iowa” tour
Gov. Terry E. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds today announced they will continue with their fourth week of town hall meetings as part of their “Jobs for Iowa” tour.
“The ‘Jobs for Iowa’ tour has given Lieutenant Governor Reynolds and me the opportunity to listen to the ideas of Iowans,” said Branstad. “Today we are pleased to announce that the tour will continue next Friday with stops across Southeast Iowa. We look forward to traveling to these communities and sharing our plans for job creation in Iowa.”
The Branstad-Reynolds jobs plan includes:
- Cutting Iowa corporate income tax rates in half, which currently has the highest top rate in the country.
- Bringing commercial property taxes to 60 percent of value, down from the current rate of 100 percent. Commercial property in Des Moines pays more tax that similar property in New York City, Chicago, Kansas City and Philadelphia. Rural areas face similar odds against their counterparts nationwide.
- Remaking the Department of Economic Development into a 21st Century public-private partnership that works with businesses to create jobs.
- A sunset of rules and regulations every four years to determine their effectiveness, and have a jobs-impact statement with every new proposal that affects economic growth in Iowa.
- Touring the country and world in search of new jobs for the state of Iowa.
The following events are free and open to the public:
Friday, March 18, 2011
9 a.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Greater Burlington Partnership – Suite 200
610 North 4th Street
11 a.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Columbus Junction City Hall – ICN Room
232 2nd Street
Columbus Junction, IA
12:30 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Clarion Hotel Muscatine – Harvest Ballroom
2915 North Highway 61
2:30 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Quality Inn and Suites
1000 East Iowa Street
4:30 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Graphic Arts Center
1951 Manufacturing Drive
For more information please visit www.governor.iowa.gov.