Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds announce “Jobs for Iowa” tour through central Iowa
Gov. Terry E. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds today announced they will continue with their fifth week of town hall meetings as part of their “Jobs for Iowa” tour.
“I look forward to visiting these central Iowa communities to discuss our administration’s plan to create jobs and increase family incomes,” said Branstad. “Our previous tour stops have allowed us to share our plans for job creation, and Lieutenant Governor Reynolds and I look forward to sharing our vision with citizens in Marshalltown, Webster City, Iowa Falls and Fort Dodge.”
The Branstad-Reynolds jobs plan includes:
- Cutting Iowa corporate income tax rates in half, which currently has the highest top rate in the country.
- Bringing commercial property taxes to 60 percent of value, down from the current rate of 100 percent. Commercial property in Des Moines pays more tax that similar property in New York City, Chicago, Kansas City and Philadelphia. Rural areas face similar odds against their counterparts nationwide.
- Remaking the Department of Economic Development into a 21st Century public-private partnership that works with businesses to create jobs.
- A sunset of rules and regulations every four years to determine their effectiveness, and have a jobs-impact statement with every new proposal that affects economic growth in Iowa.
- Touring the country and world in search of new jobs for the state of Iowa.
The following events are free and open to the public:
Friday, April 1, 2011
9:30 a.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Fisher Community Center – Auditorium
70 South Center Street
11:30 a.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Ellsworth Community College
Gentle Student Center – Formal Dining Room
1100 College Avenue
Iowa Falls, IA
1:30 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Webster City City Hall
400 Second Street
Webster City, IA
3 p.m. Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds hold “Jobs for Iowa” tour town hall meeting
Iowa Central Community College
Bio Science Building – Auditorium
Fort Dodge, IA
For more information please visit www.governor.iowa.gov.